Summer Pie Contest – Saturday, August 6th!
As you have no doubt noticed, we’re into the heart of summer at the market, and for the next few weeks will be enjoying the rich harvest of local berries, fresh peaches, apricots, cherries, and soon nectarines at the market. One of the best things about summmer is pie, which is why we are happy to announce our 2nd Annual Summer Pie Contest!
Last year this contest was called the “berry pie contest”, but we have no desire to discourage people from submitting peach, cherry, or apricot pies. Whatever type of fresh fruit makes you think summer pie, go with it.
The pie contest will be held at the market on Saturday, August 6th, so pick out some fruit or berries this week at the market for practice! Remember, the pie contest needs you to make it happen. Points will be awarded for deliciousness, creativity and visual appeal. Happy baking!
· Pies entered for judging must be made with fresh fruit or berries. Fruit does not need to come from the Hollywood Farmers Market, but there will be extra points for buying local fruit. Ask at the information booth for more details on mid-week farmers markets.
· Pie crust and filling must be prepared and baked by person submitting the pie for judging.
· Entries must include entry form and original recipe listing all ingredients and method in order to be considered for judging.
· Pie plates will not be returned to contestants, so we encourage contestants to submit pies in a recyclable pie plate.
· All pies submitted for judging become the property of the Hollywood Farmers Market and may not be returned to you in time for dessert.
· Entries will be accepted from 8am until 10am. Judging will begin promptly at 10:30am, with winners announced at 12:00 noon.