We are finally into the heart of berry season at the market, and for the next few weeks will be enjoying the rich harvest of local berries at the market. And one of the best things about berry season is berry pie, which is why we’re happy to announce our 1st Annual Berry Pie Contest!
A number of folks have asked about submitting peach or cherry pies and while the contest is being promoted as the “Berry Pie Contest” no judge is going to frown at a slice of peach pie or ding someone points for their creative (and delicious) use of cherries or other stone fruit. So bring on the pies, folks, bring on the pies. Here’s a great article about making the perfect fruit pie if you need a little inspiration.
The pie contest will be held at the market on Saturday, August 7th, so pick out some fruit or berries this week at the market for practice! Remember, the pie contest needs you to make it happen. Points will be awarded for deliciousness, creativity and visual appeal. Happy baking!
- Pies entered for judging must be made with fruit or berries purchased fresh. Fruit and berries do not need to come from the Hollywood Farmers Market, but there will be extra points for buying local. Ask at the information booth for more details on mid-week farmers markets.
- Pie crust and filling must be prepared and baked by the person submitting the pie for judging.
- Entries must include entry form and original recipe listing all ingredients and method in order to be considered for judging.
- Pie plates will not be returned to contestants, so we encourage contestants to submit pies in a recyclable pie plate.
- All pies submitted for judging become the property of the Hollywood Farmers Market and may not be returned to you in time for dessert.
- Entries will be accepted from 8am until 10am. Judging will begin promptly at 10:30am, with winners announced at 12:00 noon.