Last Saturday, Joanna Sooper of Turnip the Heat Cooking School led our “market sprouts” (all our young marketgoers) in a few simple cooking demos using salad greens. See below for the quick ‘n’ easy recipes! Joanna’s next kids’ cooking demo will be Saturday, June 21st.
Turnip the Heat Green Dip
1/2 cup yellow onion, small dice
2 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
2-4 cups finely chopped spinach, kale or chard (remove tough stems)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
2. Move greens mixture to a mixing bowl. Stir in sour cream and mayo.
3. Taste and adjust flavor with salt and pepper.
4 cups salad greens
1 cup diced strawberries
1/2 cup chopped hazel nuts
1/2 cup goat cheese (optional)
1. Put all ingredients in a bowl.
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1-2 tablespoons honey or sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
salt and pepper
1. Squish strawberries with your fingers or a fork until they are in small pieces. Put all the fruit and juice into a jar.
2. Add mustard, honey, a pinch of salt, and vinegar.
3. Shake jar until ingredients are combined.
4. Add olive oil and shake.
5. Taste and adjust flavors – more salt? honey? pepper?