This spring, our wonderful Market Coordinator Ari will be transitioning out of the role he has had for 11 years! We will miss him on market days – there really are no words for his contributions to this market. Luckily, he will still be involved behind the scenes. (Phew!) But this means we are hiring for a new Market Coordinator!
Are you passionate about the importance of real, local, seasonal food? Do you feel strongly about supporting local farmers, ranchers, foragers, fishers and food artisans? Are you a community builder who connects with people from different backgrounds? Can you hang outside in all kinds of weather year-round? If so, then you may be a perfect match for our Market Coordinator (MC) position! The job description is below. Please help spread the word!
Title: Market Coordinator
Hours: Part-time, 0.5 FTE year-round.
Location: Market days (Saturdays) onsite; other hours are flexible and may be done remotely or in the market office
Benefits: 40 hours/year paid time off, 40 hours/year paid sick leave, generous health insurance reimbursement, eight paid holidays (if holidays fall on work days), flexible hybrid position.
The Market Coordinator (MC) is central to the planning and execution of every market day! As one of the public faces of the market, friendly, outgoing and professional customer service skills are a must. The MC directly interacts with shoppers, vendors, entertainment guests, volunteers and site partners. You will work with the rest of the market staff to make market days run smoothly, and to ensure a welcoming climate of inclusivity and non-discrimination at each market. The MC is a relationship and community builder who can connect with people from diverse backgrounds.
In-the-moment adaptability and an eye for detail help pilot safe and efficient market day operations. The MC is responsible for market setup and teardown, site maintenance, and clear communication with site partners. The MC manages all aspects of the market’s robust volunteer program – recruiting, training and overseeing market volunteers. The MC curates and schedules musicians, community organizations, and entertainment for market days. The MC has an understanding of the market’s food justice programs and assists with implementation as needed.
Market days take place year-round in all types of weather. During the winter season market day hours are roughly 7AM to 2:30PM; during the summer market day hours are roughly 6AM to 2:30PM. Hours outside of market days are flexible.
The MC reports directly to the Market Director (MD).
- Can connect with diverse groups of people from different backgrounds
- Project management skills – an ability to see the big picture and organize the details needed to ensure the smooth execution of events
- Prior volunteer coordinator experience or demonstrated supervisory experience
- Basic competency with Excel and Google Drive
- Able to maintain an organized, tidy and accessible space
- Can work independently and as part of a team
- In-the-moment adaptability, able to switch gears quickly and without fuss
- Remain kind and respectful in tense situations
- Effective written and spoken communication skills
- Able to lift 50 lbs. and be on your feet all day
- Comfortable being outside for extended periods of time in all types of weather
- Punctual and reliable
- Experience with WordPress
- Social media experience
- Handy person or fix-it skills
- 0ne or more of the following:
- Demonstrated appreciation for farmers markets
- Understanding of the importance of local, seasonal food
- Direct experience with food-system work
- Understanding of systemic inequity within the food system
- Knowledge of sustainable food production methods
Required Certifications and Licenses
This position requires a valid driver’s license with clean driving record, or an ability to do occasional market errands. A valid food handler’s card and CPR training must be obtained within 2 months of hire.
Set-up and breakdown of the market involves lifting, moving, and assembling large tents, as well as assisting farmers with heavy lifting. The MC must be able to safely lift up to 50 lbs., as well as squat, reach, and spend long hours standing.
Hours and Pay Schedule
This is a year-round, 1/2 time (20hrs/week) salaried position that is paid bi-monthly. The Market Coordinator must be available to work the hours that markets are open (every Saturday April – Thanksgiving; first and third Saturdays December through March.
- Paid time off accruing at the rate of 1.67 hours per pay period up to 40 hours per year (may be used after 90 days of employment)
- Paid sick leave accruing at the rate of 1 hour for every 26 hours worked, up to a maximum of 40 hours per year (may be used after 90 days of employment)
- Unpaid sick leave accruing at the rate of 1 hour for every 13 hours worked, up to a maximum of 20 hours per year (may be used after 90 days of employment)
- Flexible work schedule outside of weekly scheduled market responsibilities. Able to work remotely in coordination with other staff and according to job responsibilities
- Paid holidays if such holidays fall on work days: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
- Generous health insurance reimbursement
During the Covid-19 pandemic Hollywood Farmers Market maintains guidelines for an outdoor market as described by the Oregon Health Authority, and indoor safety requirements as required by our landlord, The Rose City Park Presbyterian Church. During the week, staff members rotate office hours so staff persons are alone when working inside.
We will interview on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Interviews will be conducted via Zoom. Ideally, the new Market Coordinator will begin training on March 19th, 2022.
Put your cover letter and resume into one document. Email to: email@example.com , with ‘‘Market Coordinator Position’ in the subject line.
The above statements describe the general nature of the work being performed by the person assigned to this job. The MD may alter the job description as organizational needs change. Hollywood Farmers Market is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is understood that not every person has had the same opportunity to develop skill sets. If you do not possess every qualification listed above but are excited to learn, please apply anyhow.