by Jane Hashimawari
(Use your veg tops!)
Bietola is a traditional Tuscan type of green leaf chard.
– 1/2 pound bietola greens
– 1/2 pound beet greens (roughly de-stemmed)
– 1/2 pound basil (roughly de-stemmed)
– 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
– 3 cloves spring garlic and tops
– about 2-3 oz. grated parmesan cheese
– about 1 1/2 – 2 cups extra virgin olive oil
– salt to taste
Blanch greens in salted boiling water for about 15-20 seconds. Immediately place in ice water to stop the cooking process. Squeeze the water out thoroughly. Place greens, garlic, walnuts, and cheese in food processor or mortar and pestle. Add olive oil to desired consistency. Season with salt to taste!