Pasta and asparagus dressed with a light, lemony sauce makes a quick vegetarian dinner.
Salt and pepper
1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
2 tablespoons butter
2 scallions, minced
zest of 1 lemon
3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
12 ounces spaghetti or other pasta
handful fresh mint leaves
1. Put a pot of salted water on to boil. Meanwhile, slice asparagus in half lengthwise, then cut diagonally into 2-inch pieces.
2. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add scallions and cook until wilted, about one minute. Add asparagus and ¼ cup water. Cover pan, and cook until asparagus is tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together egg, lemon zest, and ¼ cup cheese. Season with pepper. Cook pasta until al dente, reserving ½ cup pasta water before draining. Return pasta to pot and immediately stir in egg until pasta is coated; thin as needed with pasta water. Stir in asparagus and mint leaves. Divide among bowls and top with remaining Parmesan cheese.
Once you roast radishes, you’ll never go back. This side dish makes a great addition to roasted chicken or salmon.
1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed, and halved (about 1½ pounds)
1 bunch radishes, greens discarded or reserved for another use, trimmed and halved
coarse salt and pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 425. In a large bowl, toss the asparagus and radishes with olive oil; season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet and roast until tender, tossing once halfway through cooking time, about 15 minutes.
Radishes become sweet and mellow when cooked, and pair beautifully with crisp-cooked snap peas.
2 slices bacon, chopped
1 bunch radishes, halved or quartered if large (reserve greens for another use)
1 small shallot, minced
10 ounces snap peas, trimmed and cut in half diagonally
1. Cook bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
2. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from pan. Add radishes and shallot and cook until radishes are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add snap peas and cook until crisp, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with bacon. Serve immediately.