As you’ve no doubt noticed, we’re into the heart of summer at the market, and for the next few weeks will be enjoying the rich harvest of local berries and other fresh fruit at the market. And one of the best things about summer is fruit pie, which is why we’re happy to announce our 3rd Annual Summer Pie Contest!
In the past, this contest has been called the “berry pie contest”, but we have no desire to discourage people from submitting peach/cherry/apricot/etc pies. Whatever piece of fresh fruit stokes your creativity, go with it.
The pie contest will be held at the market on Saturday, August 4th, so pick out some fruit or berries this week at the market for practice! Remember, the pie contest needs you to make it happen. Points will be awarded for deliciousness, creativity and visual appeal. Happy baking!
· Pies entered for judging must be made with berries or other fruit purchased fresh. Fruit does not need to come from the Hollywood Farmers Market, but there will be extra points for buying locally-grown ingredients. One tip for mid-week purchasing – you can buy berries and other fruit at the Lloyd Farmers Market on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 am to 2 pm. You’ll see many familiar HFM vendors there, such as Unger Farms (Tuesdays) Liepold Farms (Thursdays), and ProFarm Produce (Thursdays).
· Pie crust and filling must be prepared and baked by person submitting the pie for judging.
· Entries must include entry form and original recipe listing all ingredients and method in order to be considered for judging.
· We can’t guarantee that pie plates will be returned to contestants, so we encourage contestants to submit pies in a recyclable pie plate.
· All pies submitted for judging become the property of the Hollywood Farmers Market and may not be returned to you in time for dessert.
· Entries will be accepted from 8am until 10am on the morning of Saturday, August 4th. Judging will begin promptly at 10:30am, with winners announced at 12:00 noon.