Hollywood Farmers Market (HFM) is seeking an energetic and motivated person to coordinate and implement weekly POP Club kids’ activities at the Hollywood Farmers Market, every Saturday from June 9, 2018 through September 1, 2018.
Hollywood Farmers Market
Hollywood Farmers Market operates two year-round farmers markets in Northeast Portland, the Hollywood Farmers Market and the Lloyd Farmers Market. Founded in 1997, it is one of the longest-running and largest farmers markets in the Portland metro region. For more information, see our website at http://hollywoodfarmersmarket.org
The Power of Produce (POP) Club uses fun hands-on activities to teach kids about fruits and vegetables, local food systems, and healthy food preparation. These activities will include cooking demonstrations, farmers market scavenger hunts, produce tastings, and more. Kids who participate in the weekly activity will receive $2 in farmers market tokens to spend on the foods of their choice at the market. This will be the program’s first year at HFM.
The Kids Program Coordinator will assist HFM year-round staff in planning and organizing weekly activities, and will be responsible for leading activities at the market assisted by rotating volunteers. This is an hourly, part-time position lasting from May 28th to September 7th, with approximately 10 hours per week (hours may vary). This includes a 5-hour shift on Saturdays from 8am to 1pm (June 9th through September 1st), as well as flexible time during the week for planning and organizing. Responsibilities include:
- Planning fun & educational children’s activities according to program budget
- Interacting with children and adults in an engaging and respectful manner
- Maintaining POP Club cards for participating children
- Setting up and breaking down activity booth, with assistance from volunteers
- Experience working with youth in a formal or informal educational context, particularly ages 5-12
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- An interest in agriculture, seasonal produce, community food systems and/or farmers markets
- Ability to work in a high-paced environment with frequent distractions
- Patience, adaptability, enthusiasm, and a good sense of humor
- Able to pass background check
- Must be able to lift 15 lbs.
- Must be available from 8am to 1pm each Saturday from June 9th to September 1st.
Position start date: Monday, May 28th
Position end date: Friday, September 7th
Reports to: Hollywood Farmers Market Coordinator
To apply please send resume and cover letter to Ari Rosner at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until 5pm on Monday, April 30th.
It is the policy of Hollywood Farmers Market to provide equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, color, religion, age, pregnancy, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other protected class. We value the diversity and the uniqueness that each employee brings to the workplace.
It is the policy of HFM not to discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities in regard to application procedures, hiring, advancement, discharge, compensation, training, or other terms, conditions, or privileges of employment. It is the policy of HFM to comply with all laws concerning the employment of persons with disabilities.